|Apple Power Mac G4|
|GPU||ATI Radeon 9000 64MB|
|OS||Mac OS X 10.5.8|
|Disk||36GB WD Raptor SATA HDD|
2x750GB Seagate ATA HDD
|Role||Primary desktop (retired)|
ganymede served as tsundoku's primary desktop from for over seven years, December 2003 to May 2011. Beginning life as the entry single 1.25 GHz model of the Mac OS 9-bootable "QuarkXPress Edition" Power Mac G4s, it saw many upgrades during its service life in a largely successful attempt to keep up with the times.
Running Mac OS 9
ganymede has at the time of writing only ever run Mac OS X 10.3-10.5 and Mac OS 9.2. Though it was introduced after the Power Mac G5 as an OS 9-bootable option for professionals relying on software not yet ported to OS X or usable in Classic Mode (namely QuarkXPress), running in Mac OS 9 was found to result in undesirable fan behavior. While in OS X, the fans would settle on a loud-but-acceptable speed, accelerating gradually according to cooling needs, in Mac OS 9 the fan speed gradually increases to a higher idle speed than in OS X, which remains constant until the machine is shut down.
- 2011-08-16: Replaced by uzume on KVM as secondary desktop.
- 2011-05-11: inari assumes primary desktop role. Remains on KVM as secondary desktop.
- 2011-01-06: Reinstall Mac OS X and return to sole primary desktop role.
- 2010-11-??: Observed problem with home directories being mounted read-only.
- 2010-10-??: Trial/transitional run of inari as primary desktop begins.
- 2010-06-12: Connect pair of Sun X7200A monitors (purchased on eBay for $145 each).
- 2008-07-16: Upgrade CPU from 1.25GHz to dual 1.42GHz module pulled from a FireWire 800 Power Mac G4. Install Mac OS X 10.5 on boot disk.
- 2007-11-??: Begin evaluating Mac OS X 10.5 on secondary disk.
- 2006-12-??: Upgrade RAM to maximum 2GB.
- 2006-11-??: Upgrade RAM to 1.5GB and add SCSI card.
- 2006-11-24: Exchange OEM "SuperDrive" for a DVD-RW drive in first 5.25" bay.
- 2005-12-24: Add Belkin USB 2.0 card.
- 2005-11-25: Add two Seagate Barracuda 200GB ATA hard disks.
- 2005-05-??: Update to Mac OS X 10.4.
- 2004-12-25: Add SeriTek SATA card and 36GB WD Raptor as boot disk, keeping OEM 80GB disk for file storage.
- 2004-11-26: Add 52x CD-RW drive to second 5.25" bay.
- 2003-12-25: Acquired. Immediately add 256 MB of RAM for 512MB total.
|tsundoku's primary desktop
|inari from 2011-05-11|
uzume from 2011-08-16